Wednesday, September 19, 2007

September 20, 2007 - Spoiler Alert for Nora Roberts readers, High Noon


Thirteen parallels between Nora Roberts’ High Noon and Blue Smoke

I’d like to preface this almost-flaming sounding BLOG with my personal thoughts on Nora Roberts’ work. I love her stories. She is the author of my all-time, favorite book, Public Secrets. She has so many novels to her name I am hardly worthy, as an amateur writer, to even speak her name much less possibly say things that aren’t uplifting. I suppose as a reader I’m allowed my opinions, though… and I wonder how often an author needs a break. Do the facts that I’m about to display prove that Roberts is off her game?

What do you think?

1. Phoebe and Reena – their mannerisms, their speech patterns… oh, and they both had a traumatic experience as a young girl of 12. They’re both cops.

2. I’d like to mention the short, choppy dialogue here – Blue Smoke had it as the heroine’s trait with minor crossover to the hero. In High Noon, everyone has it. Except for, perhaps, Ma Bee [mentioned later in this blog], it’s like fragment heaven. When Nora looked at her finished product on Word, she must have seen green squiggly lines EVERYWHERE. I just think there has to be some moderation. I got tired of the cadence.

3. Annoying insistence for hero to leave – I didn’t know how to title this, but in both books [more so in High Noon], the heroine appeals for people to leave. Get out while you can type of proposal. It was tolerable in Blue Smoke. In High Noon, after the third time, I wanted to hit a wall. Really. I was a little po-ed. Some themes should die early deaths. It showed not a lack of trust, which Duncan suggested, but a lack of respect. No means no. This bit leads to the Angry Moments… both heroes get an angry moment, which of course leads to, uh, other more passionate things. *cough* They’re mad at the heroine for her thoughtlessness, as they should be, even if it is because they care… I mean, I understand the heroine’s position, I’m just helping you to see the similarities in the story line.

4. Bowen Goodnight and Duncan Swift – despite the lottery winnings in High Noon, they are both self made men without a strong, traditional family base.

5. Family is a HUGE theme for Nora Roberts and I love her for it. There is one bit near the end when the family holes up at one member’s house…for protection, in both books. In honor of T13, I’ll mention it as a parallel but it’s not necessarily a negative one.

6. John Minger and David McVee – the older man who made a difference at a very traumatic event in a young girl’s life. Changed the course of history, so to speak. They both get it by the bad guy…I think, you can comment if I’m wrong. Didn’t Minger get beat up at some point? Hmmm. I think he did while in NY.

7. Ma Bee and Mrs. M – mother figure to hero who wants him hitched. A mentor of sorts.

8. Phineas and Brad– the best friend of hero, will see you through anything, buddy ol’ pal, like brothers and side business associates

9. Loo and Mandy – secondary, secondary female character that the hero feels great affection for but no chemistry. Coupled with the best friend character mentioned above. I mean, really…

10. Sykes/Liz and O’Donell – partner/coworker, the combo here might not be as strong but the link is still there. A good guy who’s got her back.

11. Duncan’s mother and Bowen’s Uncle – greedy bastard of a family member who’s looking to get rich. No love lost. High Noon is backstory whereas Blue Smoke dealt with it in the present. And maybe it was his Dad, dad or uncle… it’s been a while since I’ve read it.

12. Jerrald Walken and Joey Pastorelli – The villains. They have the same motivating factor—a woman who screwed up his life. I liked Joey better. He was way more intense and killed way more people.

13. Michael Vince and Tony Whathisface – the former friend of the villain. Both have families now. And two quotes to finish this up because I read High Noon and KNEW while I was reading this paragraph that I’d already read the same thing somewhere else… in a slightly different word order.

“Lieutenant, if he did what you’re saying, he’s got to be out of his mind. I’ve got a wife and a baby. You can believe me when I say, I hear from Jerry, you’ll hear from me. I won’t take chances with my family.”
--Michael Vince, High Noon

“Things are different now. I’ve got a family. If he’s done murder, I don’t want him coming around my family” *** “…I want you to know, you’ve got my word, if he gets in touch with me again, I won’t tell him you’re looking for him. And I’ll call you first thing.”
--Tony, Blue Smoke

So, do I recommend this book? I do. The characters are just as intriguing as they were the first time around…





Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



33 comments:

  1. I am sorry to say I don't really know this writer. You did her proud though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read these two books, yet. I'm working on JD Robb at the moment. Good TT though. I'm sure you'll get a lot of people popping by. I wonder if La Nora will show?

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is a stranger to me but it's always nice to see someone's enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't yet read "High Noon," so I'm skipping past what I'm sure is a wonderful post to the comment section, just to say I was here. Just don't want to have any preconceived ideas about the book before I read it (and I'll be sure to come back and read this after I do!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't read both books yet but I do enjoy Nora Roberts. My curiosity's piqued now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I don't think I've read either of these books either. I'll have to check them out since I enjoy her books very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good point Heather. I should have put a spoiler alert on it... I'll do that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to love Nora, but I haven't read any of her new books in quite a while.
    Interesting comparison of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always wonder how some of these authors who write zoodles of books keep things fresh and different each time. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read a couple of her novels as JD Robbs. But that was a long time ago. Since I'm more into paranormals, I've never read Ms. Roberts's novels.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ya know, I don't think I've ever read a Nora Roberts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spoilers! Can't read this. High Noon is still on the bookshelf in my TBR pile. But I gotta say, I loved Blue Smoke. I know a lot of people hated it because they thought it was too violent and not romancy enough, but I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read "Blue Smoke" and I didn't like it much. And I'm a huge Nora fan.
    Very good list though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read this one yet. I'm currently caught up with Eve Dallas.

    Nicely thought out list, though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never read any of Nora's book. I must check them out next time I'm at the book store...

    Nice list...

    http://www.savannahchase.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know, I have never read Nora Roberts. Very thoughtful list though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmmm I can't imagine how hard it is to keep things straight when you have that many books. I guess there is bound to be some cross over.

    http://moondancerdrake.livejournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. The thing about Nora Roberts for me is, she makes me care about her characters more than any other author I read. Even if the themes are similiar (I didn't pick up on all those, but now that you point them out i can see them) I still fall in love with the hero, root for the heroine, and am happy when I close the book every time.
    Call me a fangirl >G<

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't read the book but I can picture it now - I'll pick it up and be 1/2 way through it thinking something seems oddly familiar to me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. what can I say, Ember? I've read every one of her books at least once... Fan much?

    Elle, I LOVED the love story in Blue Smoke. How appealing is carpenter guy, anyway? VERY. And the way he kept seeing her over the years - like in the traffic jam? Too romantic. I don't know what those other people are talking about. That book was great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't read these two. Will be adding them to my long list of too reads:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have yet to read one of her books... in spite of the odds, considering how many she's written! lol

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never read Nora, though I've tried a few times. I'm sure it's hard for her to keep up the output that she does. Though I wish I was even a fraction that talented.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi,
    Haven't read these 2 books yet..
    I'm stuck/glued to her "In Death Series"...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't read Nora Roberts, but it's a great list!

    *hugs*
    Paige

    My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great list, Morgan! I haven't read them, but the parallels are interesting to see laid out that way.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Haven't read that. Or really any Nora Roberts. Will have to read this book.

    Great TT!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well I haven't read these, but I think you make good points. I have enjoyed some of the JD Robb books, but she does seem to hammer the whole "leave me if you don't like it" point a bit.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hmm...time to pull out Blue Smoke and the Kennedy/Lincoln Assassination parallels. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I wish I could say I've read these books. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I gave up reading Nora during the Key series. It all just sounded too much the same to me. But I suppose that after having read thirty or forty of ANY author's books, I'd probably get tired of them. Maybe one of these days, I'll pick her back up again.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I haven't read either of these books yet, so I can't really say anything, except thanks for visiting my list. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friends! Comment moderation is on because of spam. But be assured, I'm online often and your comment won't go unnoticed for long.

...Down with Spammers! :D