Wednesday, October 24, 2007

T13 - October 25, 2007

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


13 Things About Nathan Bransford
and his Largely Indispensible First Paragraph Challenge

1. Nathan is a literary agent with a few minutes on his hands...apparently.


2. He works for...or with Curtis Brown Ltd.


3. …in San Francisco


4. and likes bourbon and books.


5. …and creating sensational movements like the LIFPC.


6. Nathan writes his truth
I actually secretly think (I guess it's not a secret anymore) that this is a fairly good distinction between professional writers and for-fun writers. Professional writers are RUTHLESS with their own worlds and work. They will walk away from something or delete 150 pages faster than you can say Justin Bobby, and half the time they won't even really sweat it (the other half of the time they'll start the drinking and wonder why in the world anyone thinks writing is fun). Professional writers press the delete button because know they can do better. For-fun writers linger and linger in the same world or with the same characters and can't bear to start a new world or delete anything. And unless you press that delete button or start fresh or create a new world it's impossible to get better. ~~Nathan Bransford, October 18, 2007

6a. My first MS, unpublished as yet, is the first in a series. I love that world and will eventually go back to it. But, isn’t that the pull of story telling??? Loving the world only we can create. It’s special because I knew absolutely nothing about writing… *sigh* it's the worst ms I have completed and let me tell you, it's not going to be easy to fix.


7. Guideline One for the LIFPC: anyone may enter...One opening paragraph [3x]. Yup, that's pretty much it. Not so bad, is it??? Actually, that's the only guideline


8. Deadline: Thursday evening


9. Nathan Judges with the help of Good Girl Lit - wow, just visited their Blog. Vera Good.


10. Winner recieves a partial MS critique and a book of his/her choice from Nathan’s elustrious selection of authors. There are more but...jeez, I can't sit in front of my computer all day!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


11. Runners-up will win a query critique [mucho greatness People!]


12. My first entry

The sheen of topaz liquid at the bottom of the glass moved with the trembling of her hand as she contemplated this new venture. Tipping back the shot glass, she gathered the last few drops of whiskey on her tongue. The burn she desired was absent as it coursed down her throat. ~~~The Storm, a work in progress


13. My second entry

I was partnered with Matt for a science project in my senior year of high school--the skinny boy who sat in the back and had been in my class for only a year. His hair was brown and curly--long enough to touch his forehead and fall over the tops of his ears. His eyes were hazel with a rim of green. When I'd tripped on Barbara's trombone case early that year, I'd landed at his feet. He hadn't helped me up but instead had looked directly into my eyes...and winked. ~~~short story...like, really short. A prompt, less than 2k. :D



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!







27 comments:

  1. Ooooo I'm so excited for you. Nathan rocks in my opinion. You go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck to you. I really like your 2nd entry. Happy T13!

    Mine's up http://adellelaudan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck..i hope everything goes well..

    T13 http://www.savannahchase.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck, sugar! :)

    My T13 is up at http://midnightmooncafe.blogspot.com

    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy reading Nathan's blog. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a wonderful opportunity. Good luck, Morgan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that sounds like a fun competition! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Morgan!

    Happy T13!

    This week I'm posting mine on Unusual Historicals

    ReplyDelete
  8. Number 6 is right on. Nothing says you have to give up on 6a, but you might want to ditch the entire manuscript and do the story again from scratch. Sometimes it's easier that way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, this man sounds wise. I much prefer your second entry. The first one sounds like it's trying too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck!

    *hugs*
    Paige

    My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go on entering Morgan! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool! I hadn't heard about this before. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. well, come on in and Join the Fun, Gina. I know you've got something worth posting! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. OoOOoO you go girl! That's exciting! GOOD LUCK! HAPPY TT!

    And? The ones you've submitted are great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay, Morgan! I just saw you finished your WWII MS! Congrats. I miss all the fun... I'll have to check into this guy once I catch my breath.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I admire anyone who can write fiction. I am more a memoir/non-fiction sort myself.

    I'm glad you stopped by History Is Elementary and hope you stop by again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Go for it!! I like your second paragraph best. And. . .good luck!

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Goodly entries!

    I do like the bit about professionals deleting things when they don't measure up... MAN do I know that feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the second paragraph. I'm going to have to read more of that one.

    As for writing in the same world. I definitely have stories that I'd like to pursue in the same world, but sometimes I think authors get too enamored or comfortable in one idea and never leave it for another when you know they have the potential to do more.

    David Eddings comes to mind. I loved, loved, loved his Belgariad and Elenium series, but the more he wrote the more I found that all of this stories had the same plot. There’s a bad god and you have to kill the bad god and replace him with the new god. You have your hero and these are the requisite companions that go along with him. All of his characters are the same but with different names. His Regina’s Song was a new concept and I loved it, but again the characters were the same. I finally had to stop reading him because it was too disappointing with each new book.

    I’m definitely writing three stories in my vampire world, but unless I come up with something amazing for a fourth I’m going to make myself move onto something else. Lol, it’s not like I don’t have a whole slew of ideas. I have more idea than I know what to do with.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friends! Comment moderation is on because of spam. But be assured, I'm online often and your comment won't go unnoticed for long.

...Down with Spammers! :D