Thursday, May 15, 2008

Thursday Thirteen

Photobucket



Thirteen things about Edelweiss

1. First and foremost, of course... The Song.



2. (Leontopodium alpinum), one of the best-known European mountain flowers, belongs to the sunflower family (Asteraceae).

3. Flowering stalks of edelweiss can grow to a size of 3–20 cm (in cultivation, up to 40 cm).

4. Photobucket


5. Edelweiss is a protected plant in many countries, including Bulgaria, Croatia, Switzerland, France, Italy, Germany, Spain (Ordesa National Park), Slovakia (Tatra National Park), Slovenia (in Gorizia and Gradisca since 1896, in Carniola since 1898), Austria (since 1886) and Romania (since 1933).

6. The Edelweiss flower has since time immemorial been valued as medicine against the ailments of men and their beasts, as powerful Talisman to ward off evil and of course as the "Ultimate Love Charms" of the mountain.

7. Love struck young men would try to endear themselves by collecting Edelweiss from those hard to access crags and ledges in the High Alpine of Europe.
During these quests many died from falls, or succumbed to exposure, insufficiently prepared for sudden weather changes.

8. Photobucket

9. Edelweiss was a badge of Edelweiss Pirates (Edelweisspiraten)—the anti-Nazi youth groups in Third Reich. It was worn on the clothes (e.g. a blouse or a suit).

10. In its bid for the 2014 Winter Olympics the city of Salzburg uses an Edelweiss flower as the emblem.

11. Established 1907 by the Austrian-Hungarian Army for their alpine troops, the sign was used in WWII by the Wehrmacht Gebirgsj├Ąger—here as Edelweiss cap badge.Photobucket

12. The story goes that once, long, long ago, the Alps were far taller than they are these days. In those days, atop one of the snowcapped, precipice filled mountains lived an Ice Queen. She was said to be fair as snow and hauntingly beautiful. She was served by faithful gnomes, who lived with her on those slopes.

The Queen would sing melodiously and her sound would lure many a shepherd to lose his way in the mountains and come upon her abode. However beautiful she was, she had a flaw; her heart was frozen cold as if it were made of pure ice.
[Now isn't that interesting???]

13. Photobucket

For more information about Edelweiss, visit www.edelweissgrowers.com

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!






21 comments:

  1. I love your TT topic, and particularly like #3 - the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting topic. I enjoyed the read.

    Happy Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting and well-researched. I enjoyed it.

    Come visit me, if you like:
    http://casadecruz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother used to sing that song around the house in German lol Thanks for the memory. Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother used to sing that song around the house in German lol Thanks for the memory. Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty flowers and being of German descent, I love them :) - I had no idea they were protected. Cool tidbit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Edelweiss song. We sing it to my son. I never knew it had such a part in the war.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen them in Alps and Tatras, but did not know the tidbits of their history. Thanks for the lesson and have a great TT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh - icy flowers!! very cool

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always loved edelweiss! Thanks for some great pix and info...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always wondered what they look like

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an interesting topic! I had no idea - save for the song, LOL!

    I really liked the legend in #12, I found it rather touching.

    Thanks for sharing these. :)

    Happy T13!

    Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That video brought back so many memories! Growing up, my sis and I used to watch that movie repeatedly w/ my mom and grandma :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that movie so much, and the flower is very pretty. Thanks for the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cool TT!

    *hugs*
    Paige

    My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like your #13 photograph. Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The only thing I knew about the flower was that suitors used to collect it ... the bigger the bouquet, the greater the love. But then that would be the case if they risked their lives for it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a pretty flower! Thanks for the facts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an interesting topic. I love the song (and musical), but had never knew what the flower looked like before. Great TT!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You know I absolutely adore that song, and it was fun learning more about edelweiss.

    BTW -- Thanks for visiting my TT on Japanese motorcycle gangs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi,

    I wanted to thank you for coming to my virtual B-day party.

    I loved that song but from the sound of music. My mom loved that moved and had the LP and played it while I was growning up. I can sing nearly all the songs.

    Janice aka lady Jan~

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friends! Comment moderation is on because of spam. But be assured, I'm online often and your comment won't go unnoticed for long.

...Down with Spammers! :D