Saturday, March 21, 2009

When Fiction isn't really Fiction

My neighbor said to me tonight, "why fiction? You should write about this, real life. Like today, with Matt and I getting the manure, and the Hadleys coming by. Sean walking over to my house all by himself." He gestured with his hands. "You can't make this stuff up!"

But he doesn't get... most people don't get it. What do they think is in my stories? Where do they think I get my ideas, my inspirations? I may write fiction, but maybe my fiction isn't really fiction afterall.

~~~~~~~~~~~

On the other hand, Rocky's input is also very insightful. I could journal. It would be neat to go back and read it later in life. But, I couldn't write those things with the thought in mind that someday, by writing and publishing them, my work would finally be worthwhile. [he wasn't suggesting that either, so don't think less of Rocky for it]

As writers, we don't have to write what we know. I don't hold to that rule of thumb. God gave us an imagination, we should use. From experience, though, I'm writing a story now that has been fun to write, and that's because it's full of all the things I know and love. *shrug* What can you do?

Whatever. Just keep doing. That's all I say.

5 comments:

  1. A lot of my real life filters into my novels. But the real crazy real life stuff... na... no one would ever believe it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your comment that you are putting all that real life stuff into your fiction. It is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you get this kind of advice from someone, take it for what it's worth.

    Nothing.

    A lady once told me I should work for the Newspaper.

    The Newspaper?

    That journalism!

    I write fiction, these are two completely different fields.

    I looked at her, probably like she was crazy.

    She just kept smiling that condescending smile like she had given me some really great advice, and just said "Um, yeah." Then left shaking my head.

    If it is a loved one or a friend that give you this kind of advice, just pat them on the head and said, "Yeah, sure sweetie." Then keep working on your writing projects, and don't let what they say discourage you.

    Writing is personal it is between you and your muse.

    BTW, I find myself adding some little things from my own life into my work. And why not, we are using what we know, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's natural to weave our everyday life into our WIP's. The good, the funny, and the bad. My ex was laughing recently because he asked if I was torturing him in my book. First of all I told him to stop being so arrogant...he gave himself too much credit to think that I'd WANT to put him in my book. Then I said I had killed him off in the last book so it wasn't an option in this one;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As you well know my opinion on this, I will not subject you to my view point any more than to simply say, you write what your heart and mind tell you to write, the way you feel compelled to write it. Everyone who knows you will likely pick up on those everyday 'real life' things you apply to your WIP when and if they ever take the leap and read it.

    You my dear, as I have gotten to know over the past year, have a soul that is deep and filled with an unyielding sense of faith in those around you. I see that in your work too. It is good to let the thoughts of others make you think or question to a certain extent because I find it helps us solidify that bond and passion we have for what we do.

    Love ya Irish!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friends! Comment moderation is on because of spam. But be assured, I'm online often and your comment won't go unnoticed for long.

...Down with Spammers! :D