Monday, September 21, 2009

Reading New Things

I have a confession to make. I like a certain kind of book. I hardly ever stray. I have favorite authors and favorite genres. Just check out my books in 2009 list down there... Plain as the nose on your face. I like romance and I like suspense, and will break for a good historical [good being the key word, which can also be replaced with written-by-one-of-my-favorite-authors]. I'll read anything by Christina Dodd, Nora Roberts, Elizabeth Lowell and Susan Elizabeth Phillips. How did I get here?

Let me show you.

When I was barely knee-high to a grasshopper, I loved Little House on the Prairie. Let's face it, Laura's story is definitely romantic. I moved to Trixie Belden not long after that. How can you not love that girl? [or better question] How can you not love that bad boy Jim?! Not to mention her older brother Brian. So handsome and smart. :) And the danger they found themselves in time after time. I was hooked at a very young age. Moving into puberty and young adulthood, I was encouraged to read from the inspirational market, but still, I stuck with mysteries and romance. Phillips, Thoene, Morris, Chaikin... During college [along with my reading assignments--greek myth, eng lit and american lit], i ate up adventures. Mostly Clive Cussler--I couldn't get enough of him [or Dirk Pitt, for that matter :D]--and a few Robert Ludlum's, too--Road to Gandolfo is still one of my favorite books!

Then, it happened...

I picked up a Susan Elizabeth Phillips book called, Nobody's Baby but Mine. And the rest, as they say, is history. :D

So, tell me, where did you get your start? Did you do the classics? Did you pick up your Aunt's catagory romance novel from the side table and read it while no one was looking? Were you a tom-boy, reading The Hardy Boys, or did you follow SOP and read Nancy Drew? Tell me!

Love,
Bethanne

2 comments:

  1. I was always drawn to books that jhad ghosts and witches in them -- do you remember the Dorrie books? I used to love those.

    Then I was gifted with the first three Trixie Belden books and inhaled them as fast as I could get my hands on them. Still have all but 4 or 5 of the series that I missed. Have you ever noticed how there are a ton of Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books in various editions at the YBS, but never any Trixie Beldens?

    From there I progressed to Agatha Christie and happened upon one of my all-time favorite books in the middle school library, Witch of the Glen by Sally Watson. It had witches, it had romance, and it was set in historical Scotland. I read it several times and seriously wanted to steal it from the library. I would love to get my hands on a copy, but they go for a few hundred dollars these days. No kidding.

    That is where my reading usually takes me these days -- mystery/suspense/thrillers, with or without romance and/or paranormal elements, and the occasional historical thrown in for good measure. (And this is what made Gabaldon's Outlander series so spectacular--it had all that in one series!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting to see how you go into romance. I didn't read anyone or any genre in particular until I was a teen. Then, it was a lot of YA romance, YA paranormal, and some YA (like a young version of Women's Fiction). Some of my friends read Sweet Valley High, but I was into the Seniors books. I liked the covers better. ;)

    After that, I flopped around between general fiction, romance, and romantic suspense. However, my fav is r/s. Although there are some great romances out there, you have to know who to read. I've been bored to tears by some of them. Maybe that's why I like r/s. You can't get bored with those babies. LOL

    Okay, I'm going on and on... LOL How are you doing?

    Lynnette Labelle
    http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friends! Comment moderation is on because of spam. But be assured, I'm online often and your comment won't go unnoticed for long.

...Down with Spammers! :D