Friday, December 2, 2011

The Books I Love

First and foremost.... above all else, I love suspense/mystery.
Trixie Belden was my all-time favorite growing up. I devoured her books.
I touched on a bit of Nancy Drew, finally hitting Agatha Christie in my teens.
In my teens, I read inspirational mostly, enjoying authors such as Thoene, Phillips and ....oh shoot, who was that other one I'm thinking of????  Dang it. It's been so long, but there were lots. At that point in time I steered cleared of historicals for the most part. The inspirational variety of historicals never did appeal to me. They tended to be very slow and corny. :P

After I got married, I happened to pick up a book called Nobody's Baby but Mine. A book by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. That was it. There was no going back. I LOVED THAT BOOK! It wasn't until I started reading romance that I could get through an historical. I like early American, but will pick up a Regency [I think]. I have to admit, I"m not very good at catagorizing historicals. REgency...victorian. I know there's a difference, just can't always identify it. :)  Elizabeth Lowell has a few good historicals.  Heather Graham has a couple of awesome series from the Civil War. Marsha Canham totally caught my attention with The Iron Rose. Pirates! Loved that one, too. Dorothy Garlock. Oh! Dodd has a great series, Regency, I think. And Brenda Joyce, too. Joyce has a series about the Bragg family. I think i'm going to have to download that series and reread them. As you can see, I have hardly even touched the deep reaches of the historical genre. The books I have read are almost all backlists of writers who now publish romantic suspense.

Like most readers, though. I'll try anything. I look forward to reading Winter Fire by Jo Beverly, which I won recently [like today] on Bookworm2bookworm, Melanie's blog. :D Yippee! Right now, I'm reading a book called In Name Only, which is historical AND inspirational. Yikes. I'm really stepping out now, aren't I? :D

Have a great weekend Friends.
With Love,
Bethanne

4 comments:

  1. Small world... I just mentioned Trixie Belden in reply to a post by Lorna Barrett at the Cozy Chicks blog. I also prefered Trixie over Nancy Drew, and read a number of Agatha Christie novels.

    I've found in recent years that my reading preferences have come full circle, returning to a love of romance and mystery, with ot without paranormal elements.

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Maybe we're a double of each other. :D i'll have to pop over the the Cozy Chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning, Early Birds :)

    Some of the authors you're talking about, I've never heard of, but will now go and let my fingers do the Googling!

    I like books like "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldoon, "Flowers from the Storm" by Laura Kinsale, "Broken Wing" by Judith James and "The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie" by Jennifer Ashley, "The Devil Wears Tartan" by Karen Raney, ....see the trend...Broken heroes, every one of them. I recently read Jane Goodger's WHEN A DUKE SAYS I DO, and I loved the 'infermity' she gave him. That's not to say that I don't like Alpha Heroes...it just mixes better when they have a bit of Beta in them.

    But I also like Julia Quinn, Shana Galen and very recently Ashley March.

    Then there's Karyn Monk (I don't think she writes any more and THAT is a shame)!
    Have you ever read any of Karyn Monk's books? She writes great tension filled books about spies, and I just love, love her!
    http://www.karynmonk.com/books.htm

    "Surrender to Stranger" is just one of my all time faves :)

    Regency is what I like best, but with a good author, I'll take a trip ANYWHERE!

    Melanie
    www.bookworm2bookworm.wordpress.com
    A Place for All Romance and Book Lovers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to try Karyn Monk. Thanks, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friends! Comment moderation is on because of spam. But be assured, I'm online often and your comment won't go unnoticed for long.

...Down with Spammers! :D