Saturday, March 3, 2012

Saturday Sweets

I keep hearing all over--on twitter and facebook--this week has been long and tedious--crappy, even.

My suggestion for those having a crappy week is to get in the kitchen and make something. There is nothing like work in the kitchen to get rid of the blues. This past Thursday I made biscuits...and though I can't say my day was bad, it didn't go as smoothly as expected. Making those biscuits was therapeutic. And for me, a mindless activity.

For something easy, you could stick to cookies.
If you want to step it up a bit and really get ambitious, do a cake...yummy chocolate cake with peanut butter cream filling. That sounds so good.

For me, eventually today I'm going to do sugar cookies and then possibly a parmesan loaf for dinner--I love kneading dough! Anyhoo... here's an abbreviated version of what I do.

Take your favorite bread recipe and after letting it rise that first time, divide it into sections for 2-3 inch balls. Roll the balls in melted butter then again in a bowl of parmesan cheese. Place coated balls into a greased/sprayed bunt pan--they'll fit on top of each other. Let rise for your recipes second rising, usually about half an hour. Then bake at about 350 for 25-30 minutes.

Yum! I haven't done this in so long, I'm looking forward to dinner.

7 comments:

  1. So, after working over for four evenings on a new deadline that didn't exist until our team was informed of it on Monday, I hear that you're having things like biscuits and sugar cookies.

    The highlights of my meals were re-heated broccoli and cheese sandwiches.

    This is not making me feel any better, especially since next week will likely be similar since the stuff that was supposed to be done last week is now behind schedule. I didn't post this on Twitter or Facebook (Yes, I know I may be the last person on Earth not to have accounts there), but my week truly was tedious and crappy.

    Life is not fair and I wish to file a formal complaint - well, as soon as I find out to whom it should be posted.

    Biscuits and sugar cookies, indeed!

    Hpmf...

    Probably had butter and jam with the biscuits, to boot.

    I repeat: Hmpf.


    I don't suppose, however, that you might e-mail me some of those?

    Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it! See? People had a crappy week. So instead of working in the kitchen...which you may or may not be able to do at all--seeing as how you're a guy. *wink* You could hit the grocery and buy one special item to savor over your cup of coffee this weekend. If you're ambitious...you should try making bread. It really is therapeutic. :)

      And yes, I'll email those to you right away...

      Delete
  2. I actually do pretty well in the kitchen, but it's been a long time since I've made bread. OK, a loooong time. I often cook the meals at home, and my better half seems more than willing to let me. Nothing fancy, of course. Unfortunately, this weekend involves continuing the major remodeling of a bathroom (I'll only get some of this done since there's other stuff to do) and my wife has too much to do already, so the kitchen won't see a lot of action for now...

    My wife does make an excellent lasagna, however, even though she's not of Italian heritage. Perhaps I'll send a hint her way.

    Lasagna and fresh bread - now I know what I'll be thinking about for the next week.

    I really do read your blog to learn what I can about writing and publishing and such - so I do apologize for turning this into the Food Network!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the food network. ...but back to writing!!!

      Delete
  3. I bought a tub of peanut butter cookie dough from a friend's daughter for a school fundraiser. Maybe not totally homemade, but I still love the smell of cookies baking in the oven.
    Think I'll make a batch when I get home from work today - a nice treat to have after the pulled pork dinner that's cooking in the crockpot now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH! I love those tubs of cookie dough. My neices and nephew used to sell that stuff. Loved it. I know what you mean, too. I was just thinking about some kind of sweet bread. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Parmesan loaf? Sounds yummy!

    I've been baking muffins lately. Perhaps I can try my hand at making bread or biscuits next!

    Have a lovely week!
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friends! Comment moderation is on because of spam. But be assured, I'm online often and your comment won't go unnoticed for long.

...Down with Spammers! :D