Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Last 30 Days -- SELF PUBLISHING

So, here it comes...
I have to smile when I use the word 'so' in my blogging and/or stories because when I use that word in real life, it immediately puts my husband's guard up. EX. Sooo, are you going to leave that open like that?  :D  Can you hear it?!  I do, and it sounds exactly like what it is, criticism. LOL  It's me, NOT wanting to be critical, but looking for WHY anyway. So softens the blow. Or, at least, it should. But if you hit a dog and say I love you at the same time, they will most likely shy away from the phrase I love you, eh?

Sooo, here it comes. The last thirty days.

As a self-published author, how do you spend those days before your release in order to make the MOST of that release day?

Exposure. I'd say that is the key element. Blogging, guest blogging, interviews, advertisement space, networking..twitter, facebook. I look ahead of me into the month of May, and I see an experiment. The truth is, you could start two or three months ahead of time putting together a marketing strategy. Guest blogging? Not easy to grab a spot on an author friendly blog without waiting. With the market so full of new authors and new books, exposure will require planning. LOTS OF PLANNING.

That's been a lesson for me.

Lucky for me, books will sell, even after the release day.

Budget comes in to play as well, and though I've got money set aside, I'm trying to spend as little as possible on this first book. That forces me to dig a little deeper to find a place to create hype. Who will do reviews? Who will let me guest blog? How many blogs can I visit in hopes of directing traffic BACK to my own blog?

I'm seeing the benefits of a PR department, not to mention marketing!!
Give it to me straight, people.
What efforts have you gone to in order to spread the word about your release day [self-published or not]?

BTW, i'm estimating...my release day is NOT June 1st. It's June 8th!!!
OMG, I have a release day! :D

I can't wait to show you my cover.

13 comments:

  1. I'm trying to put together a blog for my other crit group. Would you be interested in doing a post? I'm not blogging consistently on my personal blog so not sure that would help any. Most of the authors I know begin setting up a blog schedule and prepare them ahead of time. It sounds like you have a great plan in place already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chelle, i'd love to come over and do a post for you...for me. :D Can't wait to see your new spot. :D

      Delete
  2. I know my blog isn't exactly what you're looking for since it isn't about writing per se, but anytime you wish to post something there ( lifeinaswamp.com ), you are welcome to do so.

    A lot of folks read while travelling on the DC Metro, so it might be marginally useful. It doesn't even have to be original content - if you've posted somewhere else and want to make a copy on my blog, that's OK, too.

    Just let me know and I'll try to figure out how to give you the proper rights to publish there. And, of course, I understand that you'd want to concentrate on real literary blogs, so if you decide not to, I won't be offended!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avery! i'd love to come over and blog about my life in the suburbs of Washington DC. :D ha. Life in a swamp. I love that.

      Delete
    2. Apparently, to set you up as an author, I need to send you an "invitation" from Blogger. To do that, I need your e-mail address. I've set my profile to show an e-mail address I use where you can contact me (it's a live.com address). I don't think this has to be your Google e-mail address, just any address that will get back to you.
      I'm guessing then you'll have to log in using your Google account?
      If you want, I can get you set up and then you can try to log in and create a post whenever it's convenient.

      Delete
    3. The other option Avery is for me to email you a post and you can just cut and paste it in...and I can blog my way into people's hearts, letting them know first who I am. In point, NOT Avery. :D

      Either way is fine with me.

      Delete
    4. That will be OK with me, too! And since the blog is really for me to practice writing, your posts can be about your books/stories, writing in general, or about your life around DC. I'm not relly going to split hairs about it, especially when someone else is kind enough to send me something!

      As a side note, the blog gets about 500 hits per month, so somebody must be looking at it.

      You know, with all these folks offering a chance for you to do guest posts, you could be very busy. I hope it helps!

      So (see how I tied that in with your post?), whenever you get a chance to send something, I'll be waiting!

      P.S. If you do send something, and don't see anything posted or hear back withing 3 or 4 days, try to get in touch to make sure I didn't miss it / lose it / etc.

      Delete
  3. Yahoo! Can't wait to hear how it goes pre- and post-release day! (I'm sure my blog- with my one follower- won't be helpful, but I certainly love ya!) =)

    Sincerely,
    Your sistah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't wait to read it, either, Mrs. Couch! :D

      Delete
  4. Well you know my blog is on your schedule...or it better be. ;)You amd i are travelling this road together. Only my time has been a lot more limited. I'm wishing us both success on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome to come visit me at the Saucy Scribe!
    Start tweeting!
    I KNOW you're going to do great! (Stop stressing...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha. stop stressing. :D I wasn't stressing until I got online this morning and decided to Google search, Romance Book Reviews. LOL

      And where the hell to I get or put together an ARC copy of my self-published book?! Especially without my laptop. :P I can't do anything on this stupid desktop.

      Thanks Deb! I'd love to come to your blog and visit.

      Delete
  6. Hey Bethanne, I have spots open in June. I've got the 13th, 20th and 27th. You can e-mail me at allisonmwrites at gmail dot com if you'd like a spot.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friends! Comment moderation is on because of spam. But be assured, I'm online often and your comment won't go unnoticed for long.

...Down with Spammers! :D