Friday, May 3, 2013

Changes

Today I dropped my first born off at the movies with two girlfriends and one brother. Not my daughter's brother, but a brother of the girlfriend. An older brother who can almost drive. The funny thing is... DD brought this up and I hemmed and hawed a little, trying to think of a good reason she couldn't go. I mean, there is one, isn't there? But she's at the end of her 8th grade year. She's 13 now--not exactly an independent...but working on it. Then I found out there wouldn't be an adult with the group. So I called my husband. He had one question, "Is she going to be in a car with other teenagers?"

"No," I answered with confidence. This was an answer I knew! For sure!

"I don't have a problem with that," he said.

I admit, I was both relieved and a little deflated feeling. You mean, she can just go off and hang out with her friends? I admit to not being a sentimental person... I'm not a huge crier. But I was a little struck by how fast the years have gone and by how much things have changed in the last year. *sigh* It's all good. Isn't this what we want?

For our kids to grow up and become responsible, mature people?

*~*~*
Also, in other changes... I'll be signing my first contract soon. I spent the early part of today reading the 17 pages of legalese and then  rereading it to make sure I got it. Fun stuff! And not as hard as I thought it would be. Hey! Maybe I'm smarter than I thought! :D Wheee! Letters from Home is going to be published...by a publishing house! I'm really excited! [can't you tell by all the exclamation points?]

*~*~*
But for right now, I feel like I either need to go run or need a nap. LOL
What a funny place of change to be in.
Have a great weekend, friends.
With Love,
Bethanne

1 comment:

  1. I can relate. While I don't have a daughter starting off her teen years...I have two boys who I finally let ride their bikes to the end of the street, and then to their friends house (while I followed along behind in my car).

    Letting them grow up isn't so much about what we know is right for them, but that while we want them to grow and be independent, we still want to be needed and depended on. Hard to realize that often it isn't that the need for mom dissipates, it just changes as they get older.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friends! Comment moderation is on because of spam. But be assured, I'm online often and your comment won't go unnoticed for long.

...Down with Spammers! :D