Monday, October 28, 2013

The Book Post

I've started this blog about four times now...
I have so much running through my head that I want to get into it, that I've decided to focus!! Focus in on one topic rather than spew half-heartedly about several--love, sex, faith, family, books...

And so, I'm going to talk about the book I finished today. It's called Enchanted, and it's by Elizabeth Lowell. She has a small series, a trilogy, of  Medieval Romances, which I absolutley adore. In my early romance reading days, I'd favorite an author and then read through their entire back list... She was one of those, with her romantic suspense--Pearl Cove (LOVE THAT BOOK) and The Diamond Tiger (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that book). She has a Western series that I love too....

Are you seeing the pattern? haha.

As you can see, Enchanted was a re-read. And it made me cry. And that made me think that I haven't written anything that good yet. I hadn't hit that depth...the true, raw emotion that makes you cry. As a student [of life...yes, I just said that :P], I'm always questioning. I want to know what makes this book so good. And then....I read her Afterword. And that made me cry, too!! [maybe there's something wrong with me, after all.] Though we don't always know where a story comes from, Lowell was nice enough to share how she'd come to write her Medieval stories. [yes, you'll have to borrow the book from the library and read it yourself.] I was so touched by her words, by her inspirational journey that lead to these strong characters and this incredible story in which she didn't skimp on anything... the hate, the evil, the good, the sex, the love.

She just put it all out there.

So that I could read it.

And cry.

I think, when I am finally able to do this, I will have a measure of success... a measure still much smaller than that of Elizabeth Lowell's.

With that in mind, National Novel Writing Month, here I come.
Have a great week.
With Love,
Bethanne

3 comments:

  1. I loved this series, as well as her other HRs and her contemporary western series -- too bad an evil publisher wouldn't allow her to publish the rest of that series when she changed publishers. I was so mad we didn't get the one brother's story.

    Sadly, much as I love Lowell's books -- and you're right, she always has a great range of depth and emotion -- I've fallen behind with her books. I have at least a dozen in Mount TBR, and not just by her, but a couple other "favorite" authors as well (such as Coulter and Johansen). Sometimes it feels like the more I try to catch up, the further behind I fall.

    Anyway, good luck with NaNo -- you're far more courageous than I am. There are times when I think I might be tempted to try it if it wasn't during November, one of the most hectic and chaotic months -- but then I come to my senses. :-\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. That's awful. Seems like that statute of limitation should set sail!! I always felt a little jipped not knowing Erik's story. Grr. Publishers. But even in my own contracts, there's a clause there about the world. As a matter of fact, I'll be making a change in my Christmas story when I get the copy edits in order not to give my publisher the name Gerard... and maybe they wouldn't make a stink about it, when I do sell this series, because it really is NOT what they are lookng for, but I'm not taking any chances. Easier to change the name of the security company now, then to have to break my heart later. :D ha!

      Delete
  2. Isn't it awful what publishers will do to punish an author who leaves, or to cash in on their success after they leave? I think most people in the publishing world know that the reason Hqn reprints NR's backlist every few years is to retain the copyrights.

    Other authors have had to abandon a series mid-stream, or with one book left (ie: Lowell, Sarah MacLean). Sometimes they are able to take a series with them, more often these days I think than 10 or 20 years ago. If the copyrights are later returned to them, the author "might" be able to (finally) sell the book to a new publisher, or publish it themselves in ebook format.

    I also think authors have become more informed about their rights before signing contracts these days, and are more careful about giving a publisher ownership of their name or the world they create.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friends! Comment moderation is on because of spam. But be assured, I'm online often and your comment won't go unnoticed for long.

...Down with Spammers! :D